|Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions
Can I buy directly from the factory or the internet?
We distribute through retailers and catalogs across the country. We can assist customers at any time. Please call toll free 800.257.8945.
Can you customize any products?
Yes! We can provide various options; edge details, door details, stains and more.
Do you have a catalog?
Yes. Please fill out the Contact Us form to receive our latest catalog. In addition, the website is periodically updated with the majority of products we manufacture listed on our Home Furnishings and Contract Sales pages.
How can I find a retailer?
Please call us toll free 800.257.8945 or easily locate retailers in your area from our Find a Retailer page.
Are the measurements accurate?
We round up to the nearest inch. The outside dimensions, including the molding, are included. If more specific measurements are needed, we can assist you.
Do you offer a warranty on your products?
Spectra Wood warrants its products for twenty (20) years from the date of purchase against defects in workmanship and material. We will repair or replace, at our discretion, any product or part that is determined to be defective.
What are the technical details of the materials, construction and hardware of your products?
• Solid wood tops, drawer fronts, rails, and all exposed components
• Veneer plywood end panels and back panels
• Solid wood dove tail drawers with plywood bottom drawer panels
• Tops are solid wood ranging from ¾ to 1 ½” thickness, and random width between 1” and 4” boards
• Standard industry wood to wood glued and reinforced with screws
• Plywood backs are finished and slotted into back uprights
• Finger dovetail drawers, glued and nailed; bottom panel is ¼” plywood
• Wood or metal corner block construction reinforces corners
• Horizontal grain direction on drawer fronts for solid wood
• Under mount wood on wood dovetail drawer slides for all dressers, servers, and occasional tables.
• Side mounted metal ball bearing full extension glides, 125lb tested, for files, desks, credenzas, keyboard drawers, and pencil drawers.
What is the finishing process?
1. After several sanding operations, the piece is fine sanded and any sharp edges softened
2. Stain is applied to the piece using the spray gun and hand wiping
3. A sealer coat is applied to the piece
4. Light “scuff” sanding prepares the surface for good adhesion
5. Catalyzed lacquer is applied using an air-assisted gun
After drying, the piece is buffed by hand and mineral oil, filling small pours in the wood and toughening surface
The piece is wiped dry for a uniform luster.
* Steps 4-7 may be repeated to obtain a soft finish, yet hard enough to withstand a lifetime of use.
What is the staining process?
Only our experienced craftsmen apply stain, making it pleasing to the hand yet strong and durable, whether a traditional finish or hand oiled.
Danish watco oil provides a more natural appearance, but needs yearly maintenance by reapplying to all visible parts. American Black Cherry and Walnut have natural variations which can change the appearance of the stain, and matching pieces very difficult. Since stains vary in accordance with different wood types, ours are exclusively prepared to our own specifications.